Computer Fun Facts
Here are some interesting facts to know about computers and their history:
1. ENIAC, the first computer, weighed more than 27 tons and took up 1800 square feet.
2. “Typewriter” is the longest word you can write using the letters on only one row of your keyboard.
3. In 1964, Douglas Engelbart invented the very first computer mouse. It was made of wood.
4. More than 5000 computer viruses are released every month.
5. HP, Microsoft, and Apple all started in a garage.
6. In 1979, the first ever hard disk drive was made. It could hold only 5MB of data.
7. In 1980, the first 1GB hard disk drive was announced. It weighed about 550 pounds and cost $40,000.
8. The original name of Windows was Interface Manager.
9. Genesis Device demonstration video in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was the the first entirely computer generated movie sequence in the history of cinema. That studio is now known as Pixar, the company behind Finding Nemo and Inside Out.
10. Founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, was a college dropout.
11. ‘Email’ is older than the World Wide Web.
12. The group of 12 engineers who designed the IBM PC were called the ‘Dirty Dozen’.
13. In 2011, one out of every eight married couples had met online.
14. The quintessential command ‘Ctrl+Alt+Del” was written by David Bradley.
15. China is the country with the most number of Internet users.
16. In 1993, Mosaic, the first popular web browser was released.
17. “Stewardresses” is the longest word that can be typed with only the left hand.
18. Lenovo means “new legend”.
19. In the 1950s, computers were called “Electronic Brains”.
20. You can type faster using a Dvorak keyboard compared to using a Qwerty keyboard.